Monday, October 8, 2012

When it rains, it pours: Goiter & Diabetes

I think God has so much faith in me that he showered me with two additional gifts (aside from my heart condition) : Yes, I have just been diagnosed with goiter and diabetes. 

When it rains, it pours. Sheeeeet!

Aside from my bulging eyes which is an obvious symptom of a thyroid problem, I really didn't expect that I had goiter. It has been a while since I've been experiencing symptoms of thyroid problems but I just ignore them. I am weak most days. I quickly get tired. I can usually work 8 hours a day but I notice it gets shorter and shorter. Sometimes, I work for 3 hours but it feels like I've been working for 10. There were even days when I can't lift my arm. That's how weak I got. It frustrates me. What my mind wants to do, my body can't handle. Mike was worried. One day, Mike said we should make a pact -- we agreed to start taking care of our health for each other's sake. 

Fine. 

So Mike enrolled himself to the gym. Three weeks after that, I decided to finally see Dr. Augusto Litonjua with the help of my Tita Jem. She promised to be with me every step of the way. All my love for you, Tita! Good luck sa bulsa!


He was known to be really sungit and strict so I was a bit scared. But when I finally met him, he was very serious but with a dash of sarcasm and sense of humor. I loved him right away! When asked why I haven't seen my endocrinologist for more than a year, I told him (aside from the financial factor -- in my mind lang)  that I didn't want to add on my already plenty of medicines. To which he replied, "Hija, pasalamat ka may gamot pa na pwedeng inumin para sa sakit mo. Yung ibang tao, kahit gano kayaman, wala nang gamot na pwede para sa sakit nila." 

Oo nga naman.

Don't you just love him? I do! More so because I found out that he is one of the best if not the best in his field. After all, he is not called "The Father of Philippine Endocrinology" for nothing.

No comments: